Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hump T. Dumpty



The BlogThis Challenge this week is a photographic one. And simple. Photograph something old.

The instant I read the challenge, my most favourite of the fave childhood musical toys jumped into my head. Humpty Dumpty. He's almost 40 years old and still going strong. He is not the prettiest toy on the shelf. But the memories he has provided me of my early childhood are priceless and beautiful.

The hair around his mechanism (and that is no euphemism, dear reader) has worn completely away, from countless re-winding of the little pin that creates the tinkly rendition of "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall..."

My most favourite, and possibly one of my earliest, memories is of travelling back home of a night time after visiting my grandparents - me and my family, in our combi van, the car silent (except for the extremely loud characteristic buzzing of the VW engine), and with my ear pressed firmly into Humpty's chest. I would rest my head looking up out of the window, watching the orange street lights whizz past, the rhythmic whirring of the wind-up music box inside him heard faintly after each play through of the tune had finished.

The mechanism is one of the old style - they don't make 'em like this anymore - and is favoured by some of the older maternal child health nurses, who say these are the best, for they lull a little one to sleep much better than the modern wind-up music toys that usually just stop without sl.ow.ly st.opp.ing....

My little Humpty Dumpty is now a treasured friend in the car for my own little girl. And hearing the sweet, tinkling music when I wind it up for her, watching her as she presses it to her own ear and gazes dazily ahead whenever we drive home late, sends happy waves through me.

Archived Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails