Saturday, April 5, 2008

The test

I just woke from a dream where I was being surveyed. A list of questions designed to enable the survey-taker to determine what kind of person I am and what my needs are. It was for a gym I was joining (I am about to start at one of those women-only exercise studios, where you do a 30 minute combined cardio/weights circuit, three times a week and I am really looking forward to getting my fitness back into prime shape like it used to be two distant years ago).

The question that hinged on determining how they could best tailor a program to suit my needs and help them understand my inner workings?

Q: Who do you prefer more, Cameron Diaz or Drew Barrymore?

I suppose that would kind of answer the question of who you are and how best to sum you up. Imagine that question posed in an interview setting, for instance. It's sort of like asking "Who do you prefer, Ben Stiller or Owen Wilson?" See? Each of them similar in many respects but you'd be crazy if you put Owen as your answer wouldn't you, whether you were male or female, because you'd have your potential employer thinking you were either attracted to friends or partners like that. For what it's worth, I love Owen. And Ben. Come to think of it, I'd be hard pressed to decide. But I would probably choose.... oh, no, I think either answer I would regret. That's a nasty question. Who thought of that?

But between Cameron and Drew? Well, to me there is not nearly as much pause to choose. They'd both be fun, sure, and very easy to look at and funny too, I daresay. But I'm glad that even in my dreams, I am consistent with my morals and my decisions for I gave the answer I would give now, awake. Like, imagine if you chose the person who least appealed to you. Imagine if the choice was even harder. Imagine if you had to pick between, say, Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson. Or Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn. Or other celebretiesw whose face values weren't as clearly defined or well known. You would spend the rest of the day wondering why you answered with that person. I don't even watch Steven Segal movies! you'd say. Why would I choose him?? What a world of torment.

I chose Drew, by the way.

Archived Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails