Wednesday, May 11, 2011

This time I'm playing to (not) win

I met a pretty car on Monday night. No, really. I'm not just saying that for obvious reasons.

The Kidspot Top 50 Bloggers launch party was a hoot. And I'm not just saying that either. My favourite part of the night was probably watching Doug from Ford Australia change tactics during his plug of the car when he heard the whoop go up from the crowd about its wine bottle holders (it was hurriedly pointed out these were not to be used on the school run). So he deftly skipped the technology aspects - not that they aren't fantastic - and went on to mention the car's 30 storage spaces. Ooh-err. What a smooth operator.

It's official.


My wrap-up is going to be shite, so I shan't attempt one. But here's a real good'un from Danimezza (and her photos are brill)! Or you could laugh your patooty off like I just did over with Bianca at Bigwords - her description of the hotel (and champagne on-tap) was SPOT. ON. I'm going to blame a head cold, lack of photo taking to remember, a bottomless champagne glass and sheer work/sick overload since coming home. Sorry for not getting my act together.

Suffice to say, I had a brilliant time and was glad of Farmer's Wifey's hand to hold to and from the airport/hotel. Although, I could have done without seeing her snog this taxidermied bull/cow/moose/thing:

Pucker up, Buttercup
WHY it was there (at the after party-pub-shady-pines-place) I have no idea. But there it was. In the corner, next to us. It's been trying to pick up for months, the poor thing. I'm sure Michelle will make him very happy. She is a farmer's wife, after all..... Too far? (Michelle, you know I love you!)

I had the pleasantly good fortune to meet two of my personal favourite bloggers - Maxabella and Caitlyn Nicholas - you know those blogs you have a soft spot for because you have fun every time you go there? No matter what the subject of the latest post? And not necessarily even because they have written them for entertainment value or with a target hit count in mind (although I find both thoroughly entertaining and usually giggle at least once before leaving), but just because they speak through so much other bullshit and just get right to my heart. Love. Them.

I also met two new people (amongst others, of course) who I'm keen to get to know better via their excellent looking blogs - Claire from Checks and Spots and Andrea from Fox In Flats. What women! Cool, cool chicks. Easy to talk to, interesting and interested. Real.

*  *  *  *  *


Look, I'm going to come clean right now. I don't have a hope in Haiti (....too soon?) of winning any Top 50/Top 20/Top X Factor/Blog Diddly darn top gong. Ever. Er... Well, technically, that's exactly what I said to myself when I entered the Best Blog Post of the Year at Kleenex Mums, and we all know how that ended...... 

Annnywho, I need to set something straight here at the get-go of the competition.

I made a decision on the plane ride home from Sydney yesterday. I'm not going to pimp my blog for votes. There I was, Jetstarring it south, homeward bound, head full of cold being kept at bay by my nifty pill-popping efforts. My manuscript was on my lap. The flight attendant - the most normal, human, friendly, not up herself loveliest one I've met in a long while - motioned towards my scribblings and said, "Wow, you're hard at work already!" and that began a brief conversation whereby I told her it was my book I was working on. Her face lit up and she said, "Oh, how exciting!" Just two words. How. Exciting.

She was right. I was (am) excited. I am propelling myself to finish this book and make it the best I know how. Then make it even better. Then pay someone to make it even bettererer. What did I think I was doing, distracting myself like this?

And I thought, What am I doing here? How did I get on a plane to Sydney? I am "just" a writer. Of a blog. That is kinda in a niche market given the usual subject matter on it. I'm a mere speck in the blogosphere. Why did I accept this nomination? What would I do with a massive car that'd just remind me I only have one child to fill it?

Blurg.

But then I remembered:  I'm doing it because I'm reaching out. I am seeking. Til the day I die, I shall seek. Connection. Camaraderie. You know? Good fellowship. And I can tell you, I increased the fold again on Monday night. I entered a room of people only half of whom I had ever heard of and/or met before. Not an easy feat to meet new people when your ears are half clogged and you're hoping like hell that those Codrals you took are going to keep your dewey bits in check/inside your nose/eyes/head long enough, at least, that you won't start coming apart like Cinderella at the stroke of midnight.

Now, a good-fellow doesn't stretch the friendship by nagging for votes. I trust that those will happen - or they won't - on the basis of how moved people are to do so. And if I am getting back to reality, the vote part is not why I accepted the nomination to this competition in the first place. The exposure part was. The connection part was.  And although I may just go to hell in a glovebox for saying so, but Ford Australia wouldn't find me a terribly wide-reaching good ambassador anyway.

Ha-HA! In your face, bloggers! (not very likely)
Image source
If a miracle happens and all the other blogs trip over and I do a Steve Bradbury at the finish line, well, you can bet your kids(pot) you guys will get the scoop on the New Generation Ford Territory in my own inimitable (thank god for that) entertaining and fact-filled-fun way.

So it's win-win, really. They get the plug by proxy. I get my name included somewhere in the honour role. But apart from that, I'm not going there. I think I always knew it. My human nature just distracted me with thoughts of desperately wanting to compete.

Archived Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails