This is a repost of an entry I made last year. It just surfaced and I giggled, despite myself, so thought you might get a larf or two as well...
There are few things that don't eventually end up amusing the LGBB. She'll usually find the 'yumour in anything. But I really love watching the facial journey as performers/entertainers/TV shows/relatives all get put through their paces if she's in one of *those* temperaments.
Take, for instance, this photo essay that I shall call "Funny Mister Man" - what Lolly called him - the clown who was entertaining today in the open library at the festival we visited in our district.
You'll see here the expression I like to refer to as the Prove Your Worth - characterised by the triple chin-esque pursed-lipped grimace. The angle of the head is a give-away - this look says to me I hereby reserve my judgement of your entertainment value and I shan't give away anything of my ruling until I am assured of your hilarity.
The poor dancing fool in front of her will then get the lift of the chin, an almost imperceptible grimace of uncertainty. This look says... you'll have to try much harder than that to impress me, but you're getting there. Keep up the good work.
Then, surely, the LGBB will begin to lose herself in the entertainment. A very faint yet brief smirk crosses her face. You're almost in... but don't stop trying your best, Funnyman.
So the poor sod tries balloon animal joke after twirling umbrella-hat joke....
...which all fell flat. Apparently. Although in her eyes, I see the slightest encouragement, with the lifted brows.
And then. The Master does it. A farty-noise....
.... Oh, NOW you're talkin' toddler language. Or... bottom burping it, anyway.
One more "prrrrfppppbbbbt" complete with poking out tongue and googly eyes and she was putty in his hands.
It's such an awesome day, this community festival. We went last year for the first time.*
So we've vowed now to go each year and so far, the first two years haven't disappointed! Today we had a picnic on the grass, like last time. We've come home for a rest (OMG OMG OMG she is asleep!!!!) before heading out tonight for the fireworks display. Last year it was great. Here are some shots. Check out how little the LGBB was! Awwww. She wasn't even walking yet.
* Er, despite living in this area for eleven years... it was one of those things we used to see each year, if ever we happened to drive through, you can't miss it for the traffic and the balloons and carnival rides - but was never something we would have enjoyed just the two of us. It's a family-oriented festival for the community, one which we felt so, so, so separate from, year after year the feeling got worse.
Thursday, October 28, 2010
- ► 2011 (182)
- A not so subtle illustration
- She's onto the lot of you
- What to expect when you're expecting a Cocktail At...
- Everybody loves a fart joke, come on
- What does your kids' lunchbox say about you?
- This is a job for..... Eddie Teddy
- There are satellites of lurve in our vegie patch!
- A letter of complaint
- If I could, I would
- Parity purchases
- Dear Ella
- Time for a change
- Still Real
- Career change
- Sometimes it's good to be bad
- The face of my manuscript
- The filling day
- Today, I....
- Shine your shoes, brush your hair, scrub your wind...
- ▼ October (22)
- ► 2009 (289)
- ► 2008 (347)