Thursday, December 30, 2010

The new Mother's Anthem?

I'm absolutely certain that when I used to watch Annie as a ten year-old, I never properly understood poor Miss Hannigan's plight.

NOW..... after days like this when the LGBB and her sweet little terror friend make Christmas snow in my living room, their attempts to sweep up the tiny little beanbag balls just creating flurries against all my skirting boards (a week later and I am still finding rogue balls.... don't read too much into that.... under couches, under beds, falling out of cupboards when I open them....), I can more fully understand the poor woman.

The girls squirrelled away a dustpan and brush and attempted to clean it up themselves. When I checked in on them, this is what I discovered. Diligent workers, both talking but not really to each other, making noises about cleaning up "the Christmas snow". When I was spotted standing with mouth agape at the doorway, they were quick to assure me they were tidying it up. But with every sweep of their arms to indicate where the "snow" was, the "snow" lifted and spread to even further corners of the house. I would have sobbed but it was just so darn funny, I had to stuff my fist into my mouth to ensure they didn't see that this was actually so disastrous in terms of my attempts to have had a friend over to play so that Lolly would stay out of my hair while I got last minute prep's done for our Christmas Eve visitors that I just had to laugh. Sternly. So they knew this was not good. In one fell swoop, I had created even MORE work for myself. They have also annihilated the beanbag chair, bursting its seam by jumping into it so it now has a 20cm gaping hole that I have to try and fix.

This photo actually makes it all look quite tame... they spread this same distance in all directions of our living room.

You know what, though, I was thinking Miss Hannigan's actually got it pretty good. The orphans do all the housework for her. She has no significant other so can listen to whatever she pleases on the wireless. Heck, the old lush even has time to take a bath! What's her problem?! She should quit her whining, enjoy what she's got and consider herself lucky.


This song is a hoot. It's one of my favourite songs from any movie musicals (and I've seen a lot of 'em). Now, if only I could get wine to help me tune up my own voice....




Little girls
Little girls
Everywhere I turn I can see them

Little girls

Little girls
Night and day
I eat, sleep and breathe them


I'm an ordinary woman
With feelings
I'd like a man to nibble on my ear
But I'll admit no man has bit
So how come I'm the mother of the year?

Little cheeks

Little teeth
Everything around me is little

If I wring

Little necks
Surely I will get an acquittal

Some women are dripping with diamonds

Some women are dripping with pearls
Lucky me! Lucky me!
Look at what I'm dripping with
Little girls
 Lyrics link credit

Archived Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails