Thursday, February 25, 2010

How can there be more?!?

A little while ago, I posted about how fantastic I am as an attentive, on-the-ball mother when I realised my daughter's ear pain was probably teeth coming in. And then discovered I had no clue at ALL when they all pop through and fall out and whatnot. There are more changes in a kid's mouth than there are in Lady Gaga's wardrobe. Changes, that is. Not... teeth.

Hennywho.... as I was saying....

Now, they say here that we have 20 deciduous teeth (isn't that a cute way of saying baby teeth? Mind you, I said baby teeth the other night and was haughtily corrected by the Young Lady of the house who responded snippily by saying, "They're called milk teeth, Mum"... I kid you not. And my bottom jaw has not met my top one yet after that surprise exchange). And that you grow all 20 into your mouth by around 2 1/2 years of age. Okay. Super. I've got that.

Then, it says we have 32 permanent teeth, which come in between 6-12 years of age, after our milk teeth have dropped out.

So, why then is my rosy-cheeked little 3 1/2 year old now getting four more molars when she already has 20 teeth in there? I know! I counted 'em! The bottom ones are breaking through as we speak, dear reader(s)! This is going to make 24. But that link I mentioned earlier (oh, here it is again for the helluvit) doesn't say what happens between tooth #21 and #31. Are those last 10 permanent from the get-go? As in, do they not have little milkies saving a mouth pozzy for them like the first 20 do?

Oh, I don't understaaaand!

I am so terribly confused. About life, yes, it's a given.... but mainly about molars right now.

Archived Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails